Joint Land Use Study (JLUS)
About the Study
Tinker Air Force Base (TAFB) released its latest Air Installation Compatibility Use Zone (AICUZ) study in January 2007. An AICUZ study identifies noise contours resulting from base operations, and identifies clear and accident potential zones (APZ) including recommended land uses within the APZs.
The previous AICUZ study was released in 1998. Conducted by the Department of Defense (DoD), the 2007 study incorporates many changes at TAFB from the prior decade, such as an increase in operations, revised flight tracks and improvements to the modeling programs used to define the noise contours.
Recommendations of the AICUZ encourage impacted communities and entities near the base, including Choctaw, Del City , Midwest City , Nicoma Park , Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County , Spencer and Cleveland County to consider local accommodations for future development. Considerations may include modification of building codes related to noise, future land use restrictions within the APZs, height and obstruction ordinances and continual communication with TAFB administration.
While the AICUZ is the technical basis for planning and evaluation of existing and future land use recommended by the Air Force, a Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) provides the conduit for a cooperative planning effort between TAFB and the affected entities. The focus of the JLUS is to protect the communities as well as address encroachment threats to the base that could hamper its mission and viability.
ACOG served as the project sponsor for the JLUS that was completed in July 2008 on behalf of Tinker AFB and the community partners. Subsequently, the study partners have continued to meet quarterly in order to maintain communication on JLUS implementation activities and development issues near Tinker AFB. New partners include the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber and the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission.
JLUS Final Report
- JLUS Final Report: This is a 32 MB PDF of the Final JLUS Report. Be patient, since it is a big download. If you have problems, please contact us (information below).
- TAFB Air Installation Compatible Use Study (AICUZ) 2006: This is a PDF file (113 pages, 18 MB) of Tinker's AICUZ study, which updates and presents document that reaffirms the Air Force's policy of promoting compatible development within the area of influence and protecting the base's operational capability.
Below are the community resolutions supporting the final JLUS report (updated July 23, 2010)
JLUS Communication Group Meeting Summaries
- August 12, 2011 Meeting of JLUS CG
- April 29, 2011 Meeting of JLUS CG
- January 28, 2011 Meeting of JLUS CG
- October 29, 2010 Meeting of JLUS CG
- July 23, 2010 Meeting of JLUS CG
- April 26, 2010 Meeting of JLUS CG
- January 13, 2010 Meeting of JLUS CG
JLUS Communication Group Partners
Association of Central Oklahoma Governments, Study Sponsor
U.S. Department of Defense, Office of Economic Adjustment, Project Manager
- Midwest City
- Del City
- Oklahoma City
- Nicoma Park
- Oklahoma County
- Cleveland County
- Oklahoma Strategic Military Planning Commission
- Tinker Air Force Base
- Greater Oklahoma City Chamber
- Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission
Archives and Resources
Joint Land Use Study Policy and Technical Committee Agendas
- May 2007 Joint Land Use Study Policy and Technical Committee (PDF)
- June 2007 JLUS Policy Committee (PDF)
- September 2007 JLUS Policy Committee (PDF)
- January 2008 JLUS Technical and Policy Committee (PDF)
- February 2008 JLUS Technical Committee (PDF)
- February 2008 JLUS Policy Committee (PDF)
- April 2008 JLUS Technical Committee (PDF)
- May 2008 JLUS Policy Committee (PDF)
- June 3, 2008 JLUS Policy Committee (Special Meeting)
- June 25, 2008 Special Meeting of JLUS Policy and Technical Committee
- July 18, 2008 Final (special) meeting of JLUS Policy Committee
- Addendum to July 18, 2008 meeting
- Audio Transcript of July 18, 2008 meeting
Below are downloadable files with more information regarding the JLUS project.
- Brochure of Summary of Report Recommendations: This is a four-page PDF summary of recommendations from the preliminary JLUS report.
- PowerPoint Presentation to Feb. 15, 2008 JLUS Policy Committee: This is a PPT file of a presentation that summarizes the recommendations of the JLUS project.
- Postcard for second Public Meeting on February 28: This is a PDF of the postcard that was mailed out announcing the second public meeting.
- Media Release: This is a media release (PDF) announcing the second public meeting on Feb. 28, 2008.
- Public Involvement Plan: This is a PDF that explains the plan to involve the public in the JLUS process, and a tentative timeline of activities.
- Media Release: This is a media release announcing the first public meeting set for Oct. 18.
- Flyer for first Public Meeting on October 18: This is a flyer announcing the first public meeting. It also provides a brief description of the study.
- PowerPoint Presentation to Sept. 21, 2007 JLUS Policy Committee: This is a PPT file of a presentation that summarizes the issues and objectives of the JLUS project.
- June 12, 2008 Public Meeting: Audio transcript of June 12 Public Meeting (Windows Media File) This file will open up in Windows Media Player. It is approximately 40 minutes long.
For information, contact Holly Massie at ACOG, 405-234-2264.